Thursday, March 5, 2009

Winemakers at work, Wine Club at play



(We had to make this photo teensy-tiny for the email newsletter, and VP of Awesomeness Marc wanted to see it up close) A few weeks ago, winemakers Paul Moser & Rebecca Scharding Steinschriber tasted through wines with members of the C&B Wine Club. The barrels they're next to hold lots of the 2008 Snows Lake Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - and they brought a barrel sample of that wine in addition to the 2006 Snows Lake Cab. Yum!

Somehow a promised half an hour turned into an hour plus! They talked Austrian wine, working with small lots of Malbec for the first time ever, the aging curve of Lot 205 versus C&B, vineyard sites ...

BTW, on Open That Bottle Night, I saved my Mount Veeder Cabernet (it was a 2005, way too early even for OTBN) but pulled out an expensive Chardonnay (for me! I don't like paying more than $15 for Chardonnay) and cracked it open with our neighbor, who is one of the biggest Chard fans I know. It was a Beringer Reserve and had oodles of creaminess and butteriness. It still makes me a bit nervous to open pricey bottles ~ so, this was the perfect opportunity!

No comments: